Friday, May 21, 2010

Butterflies


As I mentioned in Little D's birthday post he got bug stuff from Grandma Moss. But before that Big J had brought home 5 caterpillars that a friend from work had brought him for the kids. So it worked out perfectly. We watched them make their cocoons and then when they were done I transferred them into the butterfly habitat. Now they have all hatched and we have 5 butterflies fluttering around in there.

Here you can kind of see them through the mesh one is out and the other 4 are in cocoons still.

I have been wondering how long we are supposed to keep them before we let them go.


We made sugar water and put it on flower heads and then cut up a strawberry and put it in the bottom. I don't know if they eat strawberries but I do know they like oranges so I figure that they are close to the same.


So anyway, Its been fun for the kids to watch and we have a coupon for more caterpillars if we want to get some later. It came with the butterfly habitat.

1 comment:

Mamawags said...

Have you taken your kids to insect lore in Shafter?? Your kids would love it!! Let me know if you want to know more about it :D