Sunday, March 22, 2009

Survival of the Most Prepared!


So we were chosen, along with 9 other families in our ward to participate in an emergency preparedness drill. This morning at church we were handed envelopes with a letter stating that we were to live only on the food and things that we had in our house for one week. And one of those days we have to use only our 72 hr kits. So no shopping for this week. Rules are that you can barter though. Luckily I went to the store Saturday.

So I've kinda known this was coming for a while but I thought that it was going to be for 2 weeks. So this is actually nicer. The only thing... We don't really have any 72 hr kits made up. We have a box of misc stuff in our closet that we had wanted to put into some but never did. We decided that today was going to be that day since it was already half over.

When we got home we pulled out our "box" and noticed that we had water, Jerky, trail mix, and a box of assorted crackers with various fillings. The Jerky was long since expired but I decided to try it anyway. It was uneatable. The crackers are stale and soft but we have been eating them anyway. The trail mix is the safest thing in there besides the water. Even though the raisins are a little hard. But I don't eat raisins so it didn't bother me. I'm just looking forward to tomorrow when I can eat all the food that I bought on Saturday.

The Church had a 72 hr kit class on Sat. I'm glad I went and was totally ready to finally get mine together. I was surprised that this thing came so soon. I was gonna get them together soon, but not this soon. But at least now I know that keeping the same food in there for 3 yrs probably isn't very good. I think now we will make it a yearly thing that at spring conference time we will go through our kits and use what we need to use and restock.

I'll let you know how the rest of the week goes. I don't think that it'll be too hard since I just went to the store but if there had been a week 2 it would've been a little tougher

Oh, I found this blog about food storage and thought that it was cool
Food storage

2 comments:

Samurai Mom said...

That's aces!

homegirl said...

So, what do you want to barter? I do have chocolate! :)