Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What can I get for you?


So I have been in Oregon for the last couple days and have decided that there is one thing that I surprisingly don't like about it. I drove up here with my sister and her husband and once we got into Oregon we stopped to fill up the car. I stopped at the gas station and my brother in law said I pump it for you. So I was getting my card out when my sister says quietly, "There is someone at the window" I immediately thought that he was going to tell me that the pump was broken, so I opened the door. He asked what he could do for me and then I remembered...

In Oregon they have a law that says that you CAN NOT pump your own gas. Now to most of us that would be awesome and to some extent it is. The thought of not having to get out of your car when its raining or really cold is nice. But not having the option has really started to bother me. We were at Costco the other day getting gas and you still had to get out to put your card in. That seems to defeat the purpose to me. The gas station attendant said that they put it on the ballot every 5 years or so and they always vote it back in. Lazy Oregonians.

I am totally fine with having that law but I at least think that it should be an option. I think that it should be a law that you have to offer the service but I think that one should have the choice to pump their own gas. Right?

I couldn't find what the odds were that your car would explode if you were to pump your own gas. But since I have never known anyone who has had this happen or no anyone who knows anyone who has had this happen. I'm sure its low. Also if it were not I think more states other than New Jersey and Oregon would have this law.



1 comment:

Mamawags said...

I grew up in Oregon and I LOVE that law!! (you pump your own gas at costco because it is considered commercial fueling) When you are 16 it is a great thing to go and get a couple of dollars worth of gas-- because ALL THE CUTE BOYS WORK at the gas stations!!! That law creates a lot of jobs and I don't think the gas prices are any higher than other places. Think like a 16 year old and you'll love it :)

p.s. have fun on your vacation!