Saturday, January 10, 2009

Breaking the Law?

Apparently I will be breaking the Law in Feb if I sell my nursing covers on ETSY. I just learned of the CPSIA that is going into effect on Feb 10th. Which says that anyone that makes items for children under 12 must be tested for Lead by a third party. I read about what Etsy was trying to do on their site here. So unless the act is amended all of us selling our children's stuff on Esty will be breaking the Law.

After typing this is did find an article that excludes Cotton, Wool, Silk, Gemstones and Pearls. This does save a lot of people but it needs to include all handmade and cottage businesses. For those that make hand painted wooden toys and other things.

They are trying to make it safer for our children but they are actually just hurting a lot of businesses that can't afford to have there merchandise tested. Which will end with higher toy prices and less to chose from.

No comments: