Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Garden Area

Well I have finished taking the stumps out of my garden and it has been tilled. So now I need to come up with a plan for my garden. I have a pretty good list of the foods that i would like to grow so now i need to figure out where in my garden they should go and when I can plant them. Probably half of my list would be a winter crop. Big J tells me that we could probably grow some of the winter stuff still. We'll see....

Anyway, I was grateful to be able to go and see my friends garden and see what works best for her and get some ideas. She also gave me some of her lettuce. Which we ate with dinner that night. I liked the watering set up and got me wondering how other people water theirs. I have another friend that has a garden and thought that I would pick her brain one of these days.

So I wanted to do a before and after picture of the garden area, just to show you what I was dealing with. I found some before pictures that we had taken when we bought the house. Then I realized that some of my friends never saw the craziness that was this yard. But don't you worry I found some pictures.

This first before and after is of the front of our house.
I have no idea what the previous owners were thinking.

The next pictures are of our back yard. There were weird fruit trees everywhere. I don't have after pictures but all the trees are gone.
And these are of the area where the Garden will be. My dad cut down all the trees when he was here last, and they were cut up and put into piles and had been sitting there waiting to be thrown out for like 4 months. The second picture is of it all finished and ready.

2 comments:

grandmawhitehouse said...

Wow!! looks kind of ambitious. take a jar of the soil to a good nursery and have them analyze, to see what it needs. It looks a little light in color to me. Next, call around to some horse stable or equine centers and ask if they have some weed free manure you can have, then get a pick up and go get it and till it in. Pa

grandmawhitehouse said...

I have another suggestion, (Actually it was big J's idea) you have so much room in your new garden area. go get some used barrels from a juice supplier or someone. Line them up along the side of the garden on that little strip of cement. Have a flex hose coming from the rain gutter to fill them up(you can also fill them from the hose if you want, but that would probably cost money)then have a spigot tapped in towards the bottom of the barrels and a hose attached to that. If you have a drought, your garden will survive. The end.