Friday, April 10, 2009

Canning Fridays



So for the past couple Friday's Kathy F and I have been getting together and canning. The first week we did this we canned some cry beans. I canned Pinto and white beans. Now I can just open and use my beans and not have to soak them. I still have a lot more to do but we wanted to start and try it.




The next thing that I canned was Butter. And that was cool and very easy. I was surprised at how easy it was. I made 12 jars with 11 lbs of butter. And I went and helped Selena can butter this morning. We only made a small batch though. Just enough so she would know how to do it on her own later.

And last summer when Kathy B had chicken canning at her house I wasn't able to go so I never go to do it. So last night I thought that I would try. I canned 10 lbs. of chicken. I was able to stick 4 chicken breast into one quart jar. Thanks to Kathy F for lending me her little pressure cooker, I was able to do it last night. Ever since Kathy B told me about one exploding on someone I have been a little weary of them. I made the Kids stay out of the kitchen until it was done. I think that it turned out right but not having seen any before I'm not quite sure. It looks like a science experiment so I wont picture it. But I hear that it tastes good.

I plan to can Chocolate cake, Salmon, and hamburger (again) soon.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You're amazing, Shawnel! Too bad you didn't live here to teach me :(