Friday, April 10, 2009

Homemade Sidewalk Chalk


I found this Idea online a while ago and have been waiting for Easter so that I could make it. Although you could make it any time really. But here is how I did it.


You will need:
  • plastic cups
  • Popsicle sticks
  • Petroleum Jelly
  • Plaster of Paris
  • Egg carton
  • Tempura paint (multiple colors)
  • Molds. (You can use just about anything I used plastic Easter eggs, small and large, and Popsicle molds.)
First you need to coat the inside of your molds with the Jelly. This makes it easier to get the chalk out at the end.

Note: each batch will make 3 halves of the small plastic Easter eggs. So if your molds are bigger you will need to adjust.

Once you have coated your molds you can start mixing 1/2 c. Plaster of Paris with 1/4 c. cold water. Mix well and then you put your paint in. You can put as much in as you want to get the right color. Mix well and pour into molds.


You need to let these sit for a minute or two so they can firm up a little so that you can put the 2 egg halves together. When you put them together (This is the messy part because it will ooze out) give them and good shake and give them a tap on the table and let them sit. I let mine sit for 24 hrs but the Plaster sets in about an hour so you probably could take them out after that but I wouldn't use them for 24 hrs.


As you can see from the first picture I made the little eggs and big eggs the big eggs I had a problem with because i didn't fill them enough. I wanted to try and be cleaner so when I put them together they didn't ooze. That is why they are flat on one half. I will fill them all the way next time I make them. Whats a little mess right?

Now about the Popsicle molds. For some reason I couldn't get them to come out. Maybe I didn't grease it enough or something. But I ended up cutting the bottom of the mold to get them out. Maybe there is a better way. If you find one let me know. But in all I think that the Kids will like to have these in their Egg Hunt. Big J thinks that they could color the whole driveway with the amount that I made. We will show him.... Monday when he comes home from work there will be a rainbow driveway to park on!

1 comment: