Sunday, September 20, 2009

Early Birthday for Big J



So It was officially Big J's Birthday yesterday. But he had to go to Washington for work so we celebrated on Thursday. I labored all day to make his requested cake, from his Grandmothers Recipe. Its a very time consuming recipe in that you have to mix by hand and sift it 3 times.

Now I don't know how important those 2 things are but Big J wouldn't let me do it any other way. I have made this cake only one time before so I didn't have all the kinks worked out. However I did, after the last time making it, go out and buy a sifter. This helped the process a lot! I also only have one 9 inch round pan which gave me the perfect opportunity to mess it up. After the first layer was done cooking I was too impatient and tried to take it out too soon and it just crumbled up! So then I was upset because who wants only a single layer cake? So I grabbed the box of chocolate cake mix that I had in the cupboard and made that too. So now It was only half homemade.


I had the bottom and the top layer dark chocolate cake mix and the middle was Big J's Grandmas recipe. The frosting was also homemade and then I put some white chocolate shavings on the top and sides. It turned out OK I guess but it wasn't all the "Greatest Chocolate Cake ever" which his Grandma's recipe is. (according to Big J) Little A watched me put the candles on and when she saw the 3 asked when he was going to be 4 like her. I thought that was cute.


So I hope that you had a great birthday Big J! We love you and are grateful for all you do for us. We are so blessed to have such a kind, hardworking, self-less Father and Husband.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday!!! Sorry we couldn't be there to celebrate it with you! :) Love ya!