Sunday, May 3, 2009

What have I been up to?

I am on a dehydrating kick if I can slice it I will dehydrate it! So far I have tried Apples, Pineapple, Strawberries, Bananas, and I even tried mandarin oranges. The bananas didn't work because I didn't use the slicer so all the pieces were not the same thickness and therefore were not dried right. Also the mandarin oranges I just had a few in the fridge and thought that I would try some. They were not a success either. But all the others are soooo yummy. Every time I go into the kitchen I take a few to eat.

Here I am showing how I made the apples all the same size. First I peeled the apple with my peeler. (you can use just a knife if you don't have one.) This is actually also a corer and a slicer but I tried using these slices but they were too thin.


Here I am getting the core out. I'm sure that there is a better tool for this but this is what I had.


Here I am using my Mandolin. (I had no clue about this thing until Big J insisted that he needed it to make some squash, zucchini thing) But now I am glad that I have it. It worked great for all the food that I dehydrated.



Here are the strawberries... they look so pretty. I didn't take a picture of the apples cause I forgot.



After I sliced it all I put them into the Dehydrator over night and wallah! Some day when I do this again I will put them into Jars and seal them up and add to my food storage.



Big thanks to Tiffany for letting me use her Dehydrator. I promise to give it back!

No comments: